15 December 2010

Patch Day Blues?

  I doubt it's only me but I sure as hell miss EvE in the short time we cannot have it on patch days.  It's sort of like Chik-Fil-A on Sunday's.  --For those that don't know Chik-Fil-A is a restaurant that we have mainly in the eastern US which is awesome but closes on Sunday's which makes it pretty much the only day I want it--

  On the plus side we are getting our learning skillpoints back when we come back from the communications blackout with CCP.  There has been a lot of debate about this, honestly going back to my first exposure to EvE. While I did enjoy the complexity that learning skills added to EvE it really hurts the new player experience and I must admit that I am thrilled to be getting SP back now that I know more about how to use them properly!  You have to admit that having 1-3 million of your SP freed up to use any way you like is pretty darn cool.

  Many older players have been upset at the attempts to improve new player experiences in EvE.  I do understand where they are coming from as veterans had it much harder when they began.  However, I do want to point out that if no new players join up then EvE will most likely shut down.  I for one enjoy assisting new players who join our corporation and am happy to share the small amount I have learned since getting started.  I think everyone will benefit from the learning skills change.

2 comments:

  1. It is always curious whenever anyone complains that new players are getting it easier, whatever 'it' may be. I have seen the same in World of Warcraft, where lots of new features and modifications of old features have made levelling easier. What I don't think these veterans appreciate is that the changes are made because it was a crappy system.

    I would bet that most players complaining about the changes would hate to have them taken away. They are, in general, good and well-considered improvements. We should recognise this and embrace positive changes instead of complaining that we don't get a direct benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pj,I agree. I sure know many vets who have happily spent those free skill points on shiny new skills :)

    ReplyDelete