On a related note CCP Atlas did share some tips for operating in high-lag environments. The major point he stresses is PATIENCE which is very important when your client is responding slowly. Beyond that the guys in Fatal Ascension have been sharing their tips since the D-G fight and I thought I would post some of the tips on preemptively combatting lag that my CEO shared here:
Can't See Can't FightIt is absolutely imperative you setup your client properly before a capital battle. You may be using a NASA supercomputer in some basement in a government complex in Florida, but that still does not mean you are going to have the bandwidth to function in a capital engagement with hundreds and hundreds of ships on the grid at one time.The Overview
- Turn off ALL effects.
- Turn down ALL graphics.
- Zoom out!
- Close unnecessary channels.
- Do NOT play in windowed mode.
Holy Brackets Batman
You can easily find yourself lagged out for thirty seconds if you so much as flip over to a new tab in your overview that has all brackets showing in space. In addition to that, without a proper overview setup, you'll play hell even finding the primary target regardless of whether it has been broadcast or not.
- Turn off ALL brackets on ALL tabs.
- ONLY reds and neutrals on your primary tab.
- Create the following overview settings:
- Planets, Stations, Sun, Control Towers, No Ships
- Only carriers
- Only dreadnoughts
- Only battleships
- Only interdictors and heavy interdictors
- Only super capitals
~Mendolus (AU-F CEO)
Edit: Manasi chipped in a few good ones which I can't believe I overlooked:
1) remove the timer animations from the HUDAside from turning off auto repeat the next most important thing to remember is to ungroup those guns.
2) ungroup your guns